Loading...

School Tragedy In Texas Has Local Parent Wondering About The Safety Of Their Kids


News – who cares? | Myers Media
Yahoo Images

Carbon monoxide kills more than 400 Americans every year according to the CDC and a recent school tragedy in Texas had local parents wondering if their kids were safe.

Firefighters found two dead bodies in this Central Fresno home last winter.
What they didn't find was a possible lifesaver. The victims were renovating their home when they died of carbon monoxide poisoning. They never knew it was coming. The gas is silent and odorless, and the house had no carbon monoxide detector.

Neither did a school in southeast Texas where carbon monoxide seeped into classrooms last month. Almost 180 people got sick. The incident caused an alarm, so public records requests went to 11 Central Valley school districts to find out if they use carbon monoxide detectors. The answer, almost universally, was no.

"I think there should be. In all the schools, just like we have them in our homes," said Liz McCabe, parent.

California law requires carbon monoxide detectors in almost all homes built since 2013. It'll be the same in schools starting next year. But for now, they're nowhere to be found on most campuses, even at foothill schools like Coarsegold Elementary where heaters are needed for a longer part of the year. And yet, administrators across the Valley are convinced students are safe.

In the meantime, parents will have to hope the already existing safeguards are enough to avoid a carbon copy of the Texas trouble.

Culled from abc30  
Edu News 4064549739388739706

Post a comment

emo-but-icon

Home item

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *